During the original discussion, Gael pointed out that the changes would
probably break some code (which might need to be cleaned up but still).   I
think it was underestimated how quickly people would upgrade and see the
changes and therefore be able to report problems.

We are talking about a 1.7 release, but there are still people who have not
upgraded their code to use 1.6 (when some of the big changes occurred).

This should probably guide our view of how long it takes to migrate behavior in
NumPy and minimize migration difficulties for users.

-Travis