Hi all,

It has been some time, but I do have an update regarding this proposed
feature. I thought it would be helpful to flesh out some parts of a
possible implementation to learn what can be spelled reasonably in
NumPy. Mark Wiebe helped out greatly in navigating the NumPy code
codebase. Here is a link to my branch with this code;

     https://github.com/bryevdv/numpy/tree/enum

and the updated NEP:

     https://github.com/bryevdv/numpy/blob/enum/doc/neps/enum.rst

Not everything in the NEP is implemented (integral levels and natural
naming in particular) and some parts definitely need more fleshing out.
However, things currently work basically as described in the NEP, and
there is also a small set of tests that demonstrate current usage. A few
things will crash python (astype especially). More tests are needed. I
would appreciate as much feedback and discussion as you can provide!

Thanks,

Bryan Van de Ven