On 06/26/2012 04:08 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
> On 06/26/2012 01:48 PM, David Cournapeau wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am just continuing the discussion around ABI/API, the technical side
>> of things that is, as this is unrelated to 1.7.x. release.
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
>> <d.s.seljeb...@astro.uio.no> wrote:

>>> Accessing arr->dims[i] directly would need to change. But that's been
>>> discouraged for a long time. By "API" I meant access through the macros.
>>>
>>> One of the changes under discussion here is to change PyArray_SHAPE from
>>> a macro that accepts both PyObject* and PyArrayObject* to a function
>>> that only accepts PyArrayObject* (hence breakage). I'm saying that under
>>> my proposal, assuming I or somebody else can find the time to implement
>>> it under, you can both make it a function and have it accept both
>>> PyObject* and PyArrayObject* (since they are the same), undoing the
>>> breakage but allowing to hide the ABI.
>>>
>>> (It doesn't give you full flexibility in ABI, it does require that you
>>> somewhere have an "npy_intp dims[nd]" with the same lifetime as your
>>> object, etc., but I don't consider that a big disadvantage).

>>> I don't agree (for some meanings of "ABI-safe"). You can export the data
>>> (dataptr/shape/strides) through the ABI, then the iterator uses these in
>>> whatever way it wishes consumer-side. Sort of like PEP 3118 without the
>>> performance degradation. The only sane way IMO of doing iteration is
>>> building it into the consumer anyway.
>>
>> (I have not read the whole cython discussion yet)
>
> So here's the summary. It's rather complicated but also incredibly neat
> :-) And technical details can be hidden behind a tight API.
>
> - We introduce a C-level metaclass, "extensibletype", which to each type
> adds a branch-miss-free string->pointer hash table. The ndarray type is
> made an instance of this metaclass, so that you can do
>
> PyCustomSlots_GetTable(array_object->ob_type)
>
> - The hash table uses a perfect hashing scheme:
>
> a) We take the lower 64 bits of md5 of the lookup string (this can be
> done compile-time or module-load-time) as a pre-hash "h".
>
> b) When looking up the table for a key with pre-hash "h", the index in
> the table is given by
>
> ((h >> table->r) & table->m1) ^ table->d[r & table->m2]

Sorry, typo. Should be

((h >> table->r) & table->m1) ^ table->d[h & table->m2]

What happens is that "h & table->m2" sorts the keys of the table into n
buckets. Then "r" is selected (among 64 possible choices) so that
there's no intra-bucket collisions. Finally, d is chosen so that none of
the buckets collide, starting with the largest one.

Dag