On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:37 AM, Robert Kern <robert.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 4:32 AM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.har...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've been adding type specific sorts for object and structured arrays. It
> > seems that datetime64 and timedelta64 are also not supported. Is there
> any
> > reason why those types should not be sorted as int64?
>
> You need special handling for NaTs to be consistent with how we deal
> with NaNs in floats.

Not sure if this is an issue or not, but different datetime64 objects can
be set for different units:
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/arrays.datetime.html#datetime-units.
A straight-out comparison of the values as int64 would likely drop the
units, correct?  On second thought, though, I guess all datetime64's in a
numpy array would all have the same units, so it shouldn't matter, right?

Just thinking aloud.

Ben Root