On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Tom Krauss <thomas.p.kra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I got a new job, and a new mac book pro on which I just installed Mac OS X
> 10.8.

congrats -- on the job, and on an employer that gets you a mac!

> I need to run SWIG to generate a shared object from C++ source that works
> with numpy.i.  I'm considering installing the Scipy Superpack, but I have a
> question.  If I install the Scipy Superpack, which has most of the packages
> I need, plus some others, will it be able to find "numpy/arrayobject.h"

It's probably there, yes, and you should be able to find it with:

numpy.get_include()

(use that in your setup.py)

> the source files needed by gcc to compile the swig-generated C++ wrapper?

The trick here is which gcc -- Apple is fast to move forward, is on
the bleeding edge with gcc -- the latest XCode uses LLVM, which is not
compatible with older Python builds.

I *think* the superpack is build against the pyton.org python builds (32 bit?)

Anyway, the python,org 32 bit build requires an older gcc for building
extensions -- you can get XCode 3from Apple Developer connection if
you dig for it -- it works fine on 10.7, I hope it does on 10.8.

I'm not totally sure about the 32/64 bit Intel build.

The pythonmac list will be a help here.

Good luck,

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov