On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM, David Warde-Farley <
d.warde.far...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Pierre Haessig
> <pierre.haes...@crans.org> wrote:
> > In [8]: tile(nan, (3,3)) # (it's a verb ! )
>
> tile, in my opinion, is useful in some cases (for people who think in
> terms of repmat()) but not very NumPy-ish. What I'd like is a function
> that takes
>
> - an initial array_like "a"
> - a shape "s"
> - optionally, a dtype (otherwise inherit from a)
>
> and broadcasts "a" to the shape "s". In the case of scalars this is
> just a fill. In the case of, say, a (5,) vector and a (10, 5) shape,
> this broadcasts across rows, etc.
>
> I don't think it's worth special-casing scalar fills (except perhaps
> as an implementation detail) when you have rich broadcasting semantics
> that are already a fundamental part of NumPy, allowing for a much
> handier primitive.

I have similar problems with "tile".  I learned it for a particular use in
numpy, and it would be hard for me to see it for another (contextually)
different use.

I do like the way you are thinking in terms of the broadcasting semantics,
but I wonder if that is a bit awkward.  What I mean is, if one were to use
broadcasting semantics for creating an array, wouldn't one have just simply
used broadcasting anyway?  The point of broadcasting is to _avoid_ the
creation of unneeded arrays.  But maybe I can be convinced with some
examples.

Ben Root