On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 6:16 AM, denis <denis-bz...@t-online.de> wrote:

> Folks,
>   the doc for `where` says "x and y need to have the same shape as
> condition"
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy-dev/reference/generated/numpy.where.html
> But surely
>     "where is equivalent to:
>     [xv if c else yv for (c,xv,yv) in zip(condition,x,y)]"
> holds as long as len(condition) == len(x) == len(y) ?
> And `condition` can be broadcast ?
>     n = 3
>     all01 = np.array([ t for t in np.ndindex( n * (2,) )]) # 000 001 ...
>     x = np.zeros(n)
>     y = np.ones(n)
>     w = np.where( all01, y, x )  # 2^n x n
>
> Can anyone please help me understand `where`
> / extend "where is equivalent to ..." ?
> Thanks,
> cheers
>   -- denis

Do keep in mind the difference between len() and shape (they aren't the
same for 2 and greater dimension arrays).  But, ultimately, yes, the arrays
have to have the same shape, or use scalars.  I haven't checked
broadcast-ability though.  Perhaps a note should be added into the
documentation to explicitly say whether the arrays can be broadcastable.

Ben Root