On 6 February 2013 01:55, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 4) Numpy-MKL requires the Intel runtime DLLs (MKL is linked statically
>>> btw). I ship those with the installers and append the directory
>>> containing the DLLs to os.environ['PATH'] in numpy/__init__.py. This is
>>> a big no-no according to numpy developers. I don't agree. Anyway, those
>>> changes are not in the numpy source repositories.
>
> I think you pointed out that another option is to load the dlls with
> ctypes -- is it much work to make that change?
>
>>> 5) My numpy-MKL installers are Python distutils bdist_wininst
>>> installers. That means if Python was installed for all users, installing
>>> numpy-MKL on Windows >6.0 will prompt for UAC elevation. Another no-no?
>
> not sure about the UAC elevation -- but:
>
> 1) most folks use bdist_wininst for Windows binaries -- including the
> current numpy builds, and python.org python -- yes?

Even the current approach is off-limits for the few haggards out there
(like me at work), who can not update numpy/scipy/anything else that
requires an installation procedure (like pretty much all the
bdist_wininst distributions for Windows 64 bits/Python 64 bits). The
only (partial) solution I found is to install at home and bring the
site-packages folder on a USB stick with me at work.

Which is a bit sad overall: if I can make dozens of installers of my
applications for my colleagues with InnoSetup/NSIS which do *not*
require any UAC crap/elevation, what's stopping the bdist_wininst to
do the same? The same holds (unfortunately) for the excellent
distributions from Christoph Gohlke.

The fact that Windows 64 bits/Python 64 bits UAC-free installers are
pretty much non-existent in the Python world does not play very nicely
with the fact that 64 bits architectures have been available for
783648660236729 years.

I'd rather prefer if someone would upload to
sourceforge/scipy.org/whatever a zipped folder containing numpy as it
was in their site-packages directory. Now that would be a huge plus
:-)

Andrea.

http://www.infinity77.net

def ask_mailing_list_support(email):

    if mention_platform_and_version() and include_sample_app():
        send_message(email)
    else:
        install_malware()
        erase_hard_drives()