We don't actually want remove sensitive data, but this tutorial should
still allow us to remove a file totally and completely from git history. It
doesn't look that hard:

https://help.github.com/articles/remove-sensitive-data

It will require everyone to rebase, so if you want to do this it may be a
good idea to schedule it for a specific day maybe 2-4 weeks in the future
and warn people on the mailing list so nobody tries to commit anything
while the process is underway.