On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Andrea Cimatoribus
<andrea.cimatori...@nioz.nl> wrote:
>>Indeed, but that offset "it should be a multiple of the byte-size of dtype"
>>as the help says.
>
> My mistake, sorry, even if the help says so, it seems that this is not the
> case in the actual code. Still, the problem with the size of the available
> data (which is not necessarily a multiple of dtype byte-size) remains.

Worst case you can always work around such issues with an extra layer
of view manipulation:

# create a raw view onto the contents of the file
file_bytes = np.memmap(path, dtype=np.uint8, ...)
# cut out any arbitrary number of bytes from the beginning and end
data_bytes = file_bytes[...some slice expression...]
# switch to viewing the bytes as the proper data type
data = data_bytes.view(dtype=np.uint32)
# proceed as before

-n