Not sure if this is really relevant to the original message, but here is my
opinion. I think that the numpy/scipy community would greatly benefit from a
platform enabling easy sharing of code written by users. This would provide a
database of solved problems, where people could dig without having to ask. I
think that something like this exists for matlab, but I have no experience with
it. If it exists for python, then it must be seriously under-advertised. The
web provides many answers, but they are scattered in all sorts of places, and
it is often impossible to contribute improvements to code found online. If such
a database could enable some sort of collaborative development it would be a
great added value for numpy, and would provide a natural source of new features
or improvements for scipy and numpy.