Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to write a sub-class of Numpy ndarray, but am
running into issues for functions that return scalar results rather
than array results. For example, in the following case:

    import numpy as np

    class TestClass(np.ndarray):

        def __new__(cls, input_array, unit=None):
            return np.asarray(input_array).view(cls)

        def __array_finalize__(self, obj):
            if obj is None:
                return

        def __array_wrap__(self, out_arr, context=None):
            return np.ndarray.__array_wrap__(self, out_arr, context)

I get:

    In [4]: a = TestClass([1,2,3])

    In [5]: print type(np.dot(a,a))
    <type 'numpy.int64'>

    In [6]: a = TestClass([[1,2],[1,2]])

    In [7]: print type(np.dot(a,a))
    <class '__main__.TestClass'>

that is, in the case where the output is a scalar, it doesn't get
wrapped, while in the case where the output is an array, it does.
Could anyone explain this behavior to me, and most importantly, is
there a way around this and have the above example return a wrapped
0-d TestClass array instead of a Numpy int64?

Thanks,
Tom