I can see where you are getting at, but I would have to disagree.  First of
all, when a comparison between two mis-shaped arrays occur, you get back a
bone fide python boolean, not a numpy array of bools. So if any action was
taken on the result of such a comparison assumed that the result was some
sort of an array, it would fail (yes, this does make it a bit difficult to
trace back the source of the problem, but not impossible).

Second, no semantics are broken with this. Are the arrays equal or not? If
they weren't broadcastible, then returning False for == and True for !=
makes perfect sense to me. At least, that is my take on it.

Cheers!
Ben Root