On 26.01.2014 18:06, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 16:40:44 +0200, Pauli Virtanen wrote:
>> The Numpy Windows binaries distributed in the numpy project at
>> sourceforge.net are compiled with ATLAS, which should count as an
>> optimized BLAS. I don't recall what's the situation with OSX binaries,
>> but I'd believe they're with Atlas too.
>
> Was a switch made away from Accelerate after this?
>
> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2012-August/063589.html

if this issue disqualifies accelerate, it also disqualifies openblas as
a default. openblas has the same issue, we stuck a big fat warning into
the docs (site.cfg) for this now as people keep running into it.

openblas is also a little dodgy concerning stability, in the past it
crashed constantly on pretty standard problems, like dgemm on data > 64
mb etc.
While the stability has improved with latest releases (>= 0.2.9) I think
its still too early to consider openblas for a default.

multithreaded ATLAS on the other hand seems works fine, at least I have
not seen any similar issues with ATLAS in a very long time.
Building optimized ATLAS is also a breeze on Debian based systems (see
the README.Debian file) but I admit it is hard on any other platform.