To elaborate on what Julian wrote: it is indeed simply a convention;
slices/ranges in python are from the start to one-past-the-end. The reason
for the emergence of this convention is that C code using iterators looks
most natural this way. This manifests in a simple for (i = 0; i < 5; i++),
but also when specifying a slice of a linked list, for instance. We don't
want to terminate the loop when we are just arriving at the last item; we
want to terminate a loop when we have gone past the last item. Also, the
length of a range is simply end-start under this convention; no breaking
your head over -1 or +1. Such little nudges of elegance pop up all over C
code; and that's where the convention comes from. Same as zero-based
indexing; just a convention, and if you are going to pick a convention you
might as well pick one that minimizes the number of required operations.
Anything but zero-based indexing will require additional integer math to
find an array element, given its base pointer.