>>> This follows the principle that it's better to be great
>>> at some things than to be mediocre at everything.

You're right.

>>> Not sure what you mean -- I don't think most mathematicians
>>> think that scalar and matrix multiplication are above or below
>>> each other in precedence, for example.

You're right but on the other hand, I've never seen mixed use of matrix and
scalar products without parenthesis... Indeed in math, we can use < Au , Bv
> for the scalar product of two matrix-vector products.

But here, I think that the situation is different because we are talking
about operators from arrays to array : mainly @ , * and + (elementwise for
the two last). Whereas in the preceding example, the scalar product is from
arrays to scalar.

As a math user, I think at this point that the arrays-to-array operators
must follows a hierarchy.

Who is the guy who have asked such a complicated question about precedence
? :-)