On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.har...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 9:02 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla.mol...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > ddof=0 is the maxiumum likelihood estimate. It is also needed in
>> > Bayesian
>> > estimation.
>>
>> It's true, but the counter-arguments are also strong. And regardless
>> of whether ddof=1 or ddof=0 is better, surely the same one is better
>> for both numpy and scipy.
>>
>> > If you are not eatimating from a sample, but rather calculating for the
>> > whole population, you always want ddof=0.
>> >
>> > What does Matlab do by default? (Yes, it is a retorical question.)
>>
>> R (which is probably a more relevant comparison) does do ddof=1 by
>> default.

>> > It is a bad idea to suddenly break everyone's code.
>>
>> It would be a disruptive transition, but OTOH having inconsistencies
>> like this guarantees the ongoing creation of new broken code.
>>

> This topic comes up regularly. The original choice was made for numpy 1.0b1
> by Travis, see this later thread. At this point it is probably best to leave
> it alone.

I don't have any opinion about this debate, but I love the
justification in that thread "Any surprise that is created by the
different default should be mitigated by the fact that it's an
opportunity to learn something about what you are doing."  This
masterpiece of rhetoric will surely help me win many internet
arguments in the future!