On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.br...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 3:21 PM, David Cournapeau <courn...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 11:17 PM, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:

> has

> and
> that
> keeping

> will
> >>
> >> Yes, and then the handful of people who care about this would fix it
> >> or not. Your -1 is attempting to veto other people's *not* paying
> >> attention to this build system. I... don't think -1's work that way
> >> :-(

> The
> little

> two

> >> I apologize for forgetting before that you do use Bento, but these
> >> patches you're finding don't really change the overall picture. Let's
> >> assume that there are 100 people using Bento, who would be slightly
> >> inconvenienced if they had to use setup.py instead, or got stuck
> >> patching the bento build themselves to keep it working. 100 is
> >> probably an order of magnitude too high, but whatever. OTOH numpy has
> >> almost 7 million downloads on PyPI+sf.net, of which approximately
> >> every one used setup.py one way or another, plus all the people get it
> >> from alternative channels like distros, which also AFAIK universally
> >> use setup.py. Software development is all about trade-offs. Time that
> >> numpy developers spend messing about with bento to benefit those
> >> hundred users is time that could instead be spent on improvements that
> >> benefit many orders of magnitudes more users. Why do you want us to
> >> spend our time producing x units of value when we could instead be
> >> producing 100*x units of value for the same effort?

> and

> documenting

> PEPs
> >>
> >> "We must do something! This is something!"
> >>
> >> Bento is pre-alpha software whose last upstream commit was in July
> >> 2013. It's own CI tests have been failing since Feb. 2013, almost a
> >> year and a half ago. Bento build support was added to numpy in early
> >> 2011, and 3.5 years later it still hasn't convinced most of the core
> >> team that it provides any value at all, yet it continues to take up
> >> time and attention.
> >>
> >> Maybe bento will revive and take over the new python packaging world!
> >> Maybe not. Maybe something else will. I don't see how our support for
> >> it will really affect these outcomes in any way. And I especially
> >> don't see why it's important to spend time *now* on keeping bento
> >> working, just in case it becomes useful *later*.
> >

> > But it is working right now, so that argument is moot.
>
> Why don't we wait until there is a significant problem with getting
> the Bento builds to work, and revisit then.

My feeling is that it is deceptive, as most folks who might use bento won't
know that some optimizations are missing from the result.

David, I have pinged you a number of times about getting the numpy bento
build updated. The fact that bento builds numpy without failing is not the
same as bento building numpy in the best way.

Chuck