The same occurred to me when reading that question. My personal opinion is
that such functionality should be deprecated from numpy. I don't know who
said this, but it really stuck with me: but the power of numpy is first and
foremost in it being a fantastic interface, not in being a library.

There is nothing more annoying than every project having its own array
type. The fact that the whole scientific python stack can so seamlessly
communicate is where all good things begin.

In my opinion, that is what numpy should focus on; basic data structures,
and tools for manipulating them. Linear algebra is way too high level for
numpy imo, and used by only a small subsets of its 'matlab-like' users.

When I get serious about linear algebra or ffts or what have you, id rather
import an extra module that wraps a specific library.