I think it is a good time to discuss/implement further correlate
improvements.
I kind of favor the mode=(tuple of integers) api for your proposed change.
Concerning the C-API we probably need to add a new wrapper function but
thats ok, the C-API does not need to be as nice as the python API as it
has far less and typically more experienced users.

I also think its time we can remove the old_behavior flag which has been
there since 1.4.
Are there objections to that?

Also on a side note, in 1.10 np.convolve/correlate has been
significantly speed up if one of the sequences is less than 12 elements
long.