On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 5:28 AM, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 28 Oct 2014 04:07, "Matthew Brett" <matthew.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 8:07 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla.mol...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > > I should perhaps also mention FFTS here, which claim to be faster than
> FFTW
> > > and has a BSD licence:
> > >
> > > http://anthonix.com/ffts/index.html
> >
> > Nice.  And a funny New Zealand name too.
> >
> > Is this an option for us?  Aren't we a little behind the performance
> > curve on FFT after we lost FFTW?
>
> It's definitely attractive. Some potential issues that might need dealing
> with, based on a quick skim:
>
> - seems to have a hard requirement for a processor supporting SSE, AVX, or
> NEON. No fallback for old CPUs or other architectures. (I'm not even sure
> whether it has x86-32 support.)
>
> -  no runtime CPU detection, e.g. SSE vs AVX appears to be a compile time
> decision
>
> - not sure if it can handle non-power-of-two problems at all, or at all
> efficiently. (FFTPACK isn't great here either but major regressions would
> be bad.)
>
> - not sure if it supports all the modes we care about (e.g. rfft)
>
> This stuff is all probably solveable though, so if someone has a hankering
> to make numpy (or scipy) fft dramatically faster then you should get in
> touch with the author and see what they think.
>
> -n

I recently became aware of another C-library for doing FFTs (and other
things):

https://github.com/arrayfire/arrayfire

They claim to have comparable FFT performance to MKL when run on a CPU
(they also support running on the GPU but that is probably outside the
scope of numpy or scipy).  It used to be proprietary but now it is under a
BSD-3-Clause license.  It seems it supports non-power-of-2 FFT operations
as well (although those are slower).  I don't know much beyond that, but it
is probably worth looking in to.