Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hin...@fastmail.net> wrote:

> Scientific communication depends more and more on scripts as the only
> precise documentation of a computational method. Our programming
> languages are becoming a major form of scientific notation, alongside
> traditional mathematics.

To me it seems that algorithms in scientific papers and books are described
in various forms of pseudo-code. Perhaps we need a notation which is
universal and ethernal like the language mathematics. But I am not sure
Python could or should try to be that "scripting" language.

I also think it is reasonable to ask if journals should require code as
algorithmic documentation to be written in some ISO standard language like
C or Fortran 90. The behavior of Python and NumPy are not dictated by
standards, and as such is not better than pseudo-code.

Sturla