On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 10:02 PM, <josef.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.har...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 10:04 AM, Chris Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov>
> wrote:

> >> well, the precision of those is 64 bits, yes? so if you asked for less
> >> than that, you'd still get a dt64. If you asked for 64 bits, you'd get
> it,
> >> if you asked for datetime128  -- what would you get???
> >>
> >> a 128 bit integer? or an Exception, because there is no 128bit datetime
> >> dtype.
> >>
> >> But I think this is the same problem with any dtype -- if you ask for a
> >> precision that doesn't exist, you're going to get an error.
> >>
> >> Is there a more detailed description of the proposed feature anywhere?
> Do
> >> you specify a dtype as a precision? or jsut the precision, and let the
> dtype
> >> figure it out for itself, i.e.:
> >>
> >> precision=64
> >>
> >> would give you a float64 if the passed in array was a float type, but a
> >> int64 if the passed in array was an int type, or a uint64 if the passed
> in
> >> array was a unsigned int type, etc.....
> >>
> >> But in the end,  I wonder about the use case. I generaly use asarray one
> >> of two ways:
> >>
> >> Without a dtype -- to simple make sure I've got an ndarray of SOME
> dtype.
> >>
> >> or
> >>
> >> With a dtype - because I really care about the dtype -- usually because
> >> need to pass it on to C code or something.
> >>
> >> I don't think I'd ever need at least some precision, but not care if I
> got
> >> more than that...
> >

> > The main use that I want to cover is that float64 and complex128 have the
> > same precision and it would be good if either is acceptable.  Also, one
> > might just want either float32 or float64, not just one of the two.
> Another
> > intent is to make the fewest possible copies. The determination of the
> > resulting type is made using the result_type function.
>

> How does this work for object arrays, or datetime?
>
> Can I specify at least float32 or float64, and it raises an exception
> if it cannot be converted?
>
> The problem we have in statsmodels is that pandas frequently uses
> object arrays and it messes up patsy or statsmodels if it's not
> explicitly converted.

Object arrays go to object arrays, datetime64 depends.

In [10]: result_type(ones(1, dtype=object_), float32)
Out[10]: dtype('O')

Datetime64 seems to use the highest precision

In [12]: result_type(ones(1, dtype='datetime64[D]'), 'datetime64[us]')
Out[12]: dtype('<M8[us]')

In [13]: result_type(ones(1, dtype='datetime64[D]'), 'datetime64[Y]')
Out[13]: dtype('<M8[D]')

but doesn't convert to float

In [11]: result_type(ones(1, dtype='datetime64[D]'), float32)
TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-11-e1a09e933dc7> in <module>()
----> 1 result_type(ones(1, dtype='datetime64[D]'), float32)

TypeError: invalid type promotion

What would you like it to do?

Chuck