On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 11:00:30 +0100
David Cournapeau <courn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Assuming one of the rumour is related to some comments I made some time
> (years ?) earlier, the context was the ability to hide exported symbols. As
> you know, the issue is not to build extensions w/ multiple compilation
> units, but sharing functionalities between them without sharing them
> outside the extension.

Can't you use the visibility attribute with gcc for this?
Other Unix compilers probably provide something similar. The issue
doesn't exist on Windows by construction.

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-5.2.0/gcc/Function-Attributes.html#Function-Attributes

By the way, external packages may reuse the npy_* functions, so I would
like them not the be hidden :-)

Regards

Antoine.