Hi,
I've recently seen many students, coming from Matlab, struggling against the usecols argument of loadtxt. Most of them tried something like: loadtxt("foo.bar", usecols=2) or the ones with better documentation reading skills tried loadtxt("foo.bar", usecols=(2)) but none of them understood they had to write usecols=[2] or usecols=(2,).

Is there a policy in numpy stating that this kind of arguments must be sequences ? I think that being able to an int or a sequence when a single column is needed would make this function a bit more user friendly for beginners. I would gladly submit a PR if noone disagrees.

Regards.

--
Irvin