Slicing with None adds a new dimension.  It's a common paradigm, though
usually you'd use A[np.newaxis] or A[np.newaxis, ...] instead for
readibility.   (np.newaxis is None, but it's a lot more readable)

There's a good argument to be made that slicing with a single None
shouldn't add a new axis, and only the more readable forms like A[None, :],
A[..., None], etc should.

However, that would rather seriously break backwards compatibility. There's
a fair amount of existing code that assumes "A[None]" prepends a new axis.