On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 1:02 AM, Chris Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov> wrote:

> As you can see in the timeline:
>
> https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
>
> We are now in the stage where mentoring organizations are getting their
> act together. So the question now is -- are there folks that want to mentor
> for numpy projects? It can be rewarding, but it's a pretty big commitment
> as well, and, I suppose depending on the project, would require some good
> knowledge of the innards of numpy -- there are not a lot of those folks out
> there that have that background.

Note that we have always done a combined numpy/scipy ideas page and
submission. For really good students numpy may be the right challenge, but
in general scipy is easier to get started on. So we have difficult project
ideas for both, but easy/intermediate ones will most likely be for scipy.

> So to students, I suggest you keep an eye out, and engage a little later
> on in the process.
>
> That being said, if you have a idea for a numpy improvement you'd like to
> work on , by all means propose it and maybe you'll get a mentor or two
> excited.
>
> -CHB
>

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 3:33 PM, SMRUTI RANJAN SAHOO <c99.smr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> sir actually i am interested  very much . so can you help me about this
>> or suggest some , so that i  can contribute .

Hi Smruti, I suggest you look at the numpy or scipy issues on Github, and
start with one labeled "easy-fix".

>> Thanks  & Regards,
>> Smruti Ranjan Sahoo
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 1:58 AM, Chris Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I think the real challenge is having folks with the time to really put
>>> into mentoring, but if folks want to do it -- numpy could really benefit.
>>>
>>> Maybe as a python.org sub-project?

Under the PSF umbrella has always worked very well, both in terms of
communication quality and of getting the amount of slots we wanted, so yes.

>>> https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2016
>>>
>>> Deadlines are approaching -- so I thought I'd ping the list and see if
>>> folks are interested.
>>> ANyone interested in Google Summer of Code this year?

Yes, last year we had quite a productive GSoC, so I had planned to organize
it along the same lines again (with an updated ideas page of course).

Are you maybe interested in co-organizing or mentoring Chris? Updating the
ideas page, proposal reviewing and interviewing students via video calls
can be time-consuming, and mentoring definitely is, so the more the merrier.

Cheers,
Ralf