I suspect that many of the maintainers of major scipy-ecosystem projects
are aware of these (or other similar) travis wheel caches, but would guess
that the pool of travis-ci python users who weren't aware of these wheel
caches is much much larger. So there will still be a lot of travis-ci clock
cycles saved by manylinux wheels.

-Robert

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 10:46 PM, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 6:37 PM, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> Matthew Brett will (probably) do the actual work, but yeah, that's the
> idea
> >> exactly. Note the author list on that PEP ;-)
> >>
> >> -n
> >
> > Yep - I was partly double checking, but also aware many folk
> > skim the NumPy list and might not be aware of PEP-513 and
> > the standardisation efforts going on.
> >
> > Also in addition to http://travis-dev-wheels.scipy.org/ and
> > http://travis-wheels.scikit-image.org/ mentioned by Ralf there
> > is http://wheels.scipy.org/ which I presume will get the new
> > Linux wheels once they go live.
>
> The new wheels will go up on pypi, and I guess once everyone has
> wheels on pypi then these ad-hoc wheel servers that existed only as a
> way to distribute Linux wheels will become obsolete.
>
> (travis-dev-wheels will remain useful, though, because its purpose is
> to hold up-to-the-minute builds of project master branches to allow
> downstream projects to get early warning of breaking changes -- we
> don't plan to upload to pypi after every commit :-).)
>
> -n
>
> --
> Nathaniel J. Smith -- https://vorpus.org

-Robert