There is certainly good precedent for the approach you suggest.
Shortly after Nathaniel mentioned the rewrite to me, I looked up
d-pointers as a possible technique: https://wiki.qt.io/D-Pointer.

If we allow arbitrary kwargs for the new functions, is that something
you would want to note in the public structure? I was thinking
something along the lines of adding a hook to process additional
kwargs and return a void * that would then be passed to the loop.

To do this incrementally, perhaps opening a special development branch
on the main repository is in order?

I would love to join in the fun as time permits. Unfortunately, it is
not especially permissive right about now. I will at least throw in
some ideas that I have been mulling over.

    -Joe