On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 11:31 AM, <josef.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> maybe a warning?
>>

> AFAIR, there is a lot of code that works correctly with .T being a noop
> for 1D
> e.g. covariance matrix/inner product x.T dot y as mentioned before.

oh well, then no warning, either.

> write unit tests with non square 2d arrays and the exception / test error
> shows up fast.

Guido wrote a note to python-ideas about the conflict between the use cases
of "scripting" and "large system development" -- he urged both camps, to
respect and listen to each other.

I think this is very much a "scripters" issue -- so no unit tests, etc....

For my part, I STILL have to kick myself once in a while for using square
arrays in testing/exploration!

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov