This is for a custom dtype? getitem and setitem work with objects and
must have the GIL in any case, so yes, you can safely assume this. I
think you probably have to set the flags correctly for some things to
work right. So that the PyDataType_REFCHK makro gives the right result.
Though frankly, I am just poking at it here, could be all wrong.

- Sebastian