Hi All,

I've been thinking about this some (a lot) more and have an alternate
proposal for the behavior of the `**` operator

   - if both base and power are numpy/python scalar integers, convert to
   python integers and call the `**` operator. That would solve both the
   precision and compatibility problems and I think is the option of least
   surprise. For those who need type preservation and modular arithmetic, the
   np.power function remains, although the type conversions can be surpirising
   as it seems that the base and power should  play different roles in
   determining the type, at least to me.
   - Array, 0-d or not, are treated differently from scalars and integers
   raised to negative integer powers always raise an error.

I think this solves most problems and would not be difficult to implement.

Thoughts?

Chuck