On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Julian Taylor <
jtaylor.deb...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> The version of gcc used will make a large difference in some places.
> E.g. the AVX2 integer ufuncs require something around 4.5 to work and in
> general the optimization level of gcc has improved greatly since the
> clang competition showed up around that time. centos 5 has 4.1 which is
> really ancient.
> I though the wheels used newer gccs also on centos 5?

I don't know if it is mandatory for many wheels, but it is possilbe to
build w/ gcc 4.8 at least, and still binary compatibility with centos 5.X
and above, though I am not sure about the impact on speed.

It has been quite some time already that building numpy/scipy with gcc 4.1
causes troubles with errors and even crashes anyway, so you definitely want
to use a more recent compiler in any case.

David