The slowdown is because NUnit captures all log events so that they can
be displayed in the Gui. This takes place at the level of NUnit's own
Appender, since we can't interfere with the overall level of logging for
the app.

In NUnit 2.5, the capture occurs under the console runner as well as the
gui, even though it is only actually used in the gui. With NUnit 2.6,
due to a previous bug fix, we no longer capture logging at all under the
console runner.

Under the 2.6 Gui runner, the delay was still occuring. This is because NUnit's
default level for it's own Appender is 'Error' rather
than 'Off'. In order to fix this bug, the default has been changed to 'Off' and
the slowdown will only occur if you actually turn on logging.

Note that the test config file controls which log events are _sent_ to
the gui, while the gui settings dialog controls which received events
are displayed in a particular tab.

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of NUnit
Developers, which is subscribed to NUnit V2.

Title:
  Tests using log4net run very slowly

Status in NUnit V2 Test Framework:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  I've recently been upgrading some tests from NUnit 2.2.8 to 2.5.8 and
  noticed they were running a lot slower with the newer version of
  NUnit. I managed to narrow it down to their usage of log4net.

  For example, the following test runs in 0.06 seconds on my machine
  using 2.2.8, but with 2.5.8 it takes 4.5 seconds. This is using .NET
  2.0 on 32-bit Windows 7.

  [Test]
  public void Test1()
  {
      log4net.ILog logger =
log4net.LogManager.GetLogger(System.Reflection.MethodBase.GetCurrentMethod().DeclaringType);
      for (int i = 0; i < 3000; i++)
      {
          logger.ErrorFormat("test");
      }
  }

  See the attached VS2005 project for a complete example.

  One workaround I found is to do the following in the constructor:

  LogManager.GetRepository().Threshold = Level.Off;

  This seems a bit strange, because there is no logging visible in
  either case, yet it runs much slower without that line. Is this
  expected behaviour?