On Fri, 5 Aug 2016, Marco Walther wrote:

On 08/03/2016 05:25 AM, Stuart Gathman wrote:
 I've made some progress getting this Tripplite to work:
 http://gathman.org/2016/07/30/Standard_Schmandard/

 Basically, plug it into a USB hub that actually implements USB2.0, then
 power cycle the port when it hangs.  It does seem to be a hardware
 problem with the USB controller.
Finally an idea;-) I had the same problem for a couple of years but since I use a [1st gen] appleTV as the server, I thought it might be it's USB port.

I bought a `plugable USB2-HUB-AG7' and experimented a bit. So far, I did not get it to turn the power to devices completely off:-( But the unbind/bind seems affect the devices somehow. I tried it with a little Sparkfun RedBoard (Arduino clone) and when I [re]bind, the RX/TX LEDs flash shortly, so it seems to reinitialize it's USB-Serial chip. Maybe that's enough?

The same TX/RX LED flashing happens with the hub-ctrl power off->on;-)

OK, the USB hub is now installed between the aTV & USP ;-) Let's see what happens next.

I also bought a USB2-HUB-AG7, but the new black version (of the *same*
model# - arrrrgggghhhh) no longer implements PPPS.  Only the old silver
version does.  What is the point of a model# if you can't count on the
functionality?

--
              Stuart D. Gathman <stu...@gathman.org>