Not to pick on anyone in particular, but for the sake of organization, I think
we might need to address the need for variables beyond the standard ones
defined here:

   http://networkupstools.org/docs/developer-guide.chunked/apas01.html

From
http://networkupstools.org/docs/developer-guide.chunked/ar01s04.html#_variable_names
 :

"PLEASE don’t make up new variables and commands just because you can. The new
dstate functions give us the power to create just about anything, but that is a
privilege and not a right. Imagine the mess that would happen if every
developer decided on their own way to represent a common status element."

On the other hand, it is useful to expose everything that comes out of the stub
driver generator to see if it is useful. And for the UPSes where we don't have
good documentation, well... I'm guilty of this, too:

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/master/drivers/tripplite_usb.c#L613

Any thoughts? Does "ups.debug.*" work? Just "debug.*"? "vendor.XYZ.*"?

Here are the two pull requests that prompted this email:

 * https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/pull/431
 * https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/pull/440