Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Riello IPG 600 UPS (
http://www.riello-ups.com/products/1-ups/39-iplug) to prevent hardware
damage to my server in case of power outages (already lost two hard drives
because of this) and I managed to successfully configure it with NUT
version 2.7.4 available for Ubuntu 17.04:

nut/zesty-updates,zesty-updates,now 2.7.4-5ubuntu2.1 all [installed]
nut-cgi/zesty-updates,now 2.7.4-5ubuntu2.1 amd64 [installed]
nut-client/zesty-updates,now 2.7.4-5ubuntu2.1 amd64 [installed]
nut-server/zesty-updates,now 2.7.4-5ubuntu2.1 amd64 [installed]

However, the command upsc returns incorrect values for battery.charge and
ups.temperature:

battery.capacity: 5
battery.charge: 255
battery.runtime: 3932100
battery.voltage: 13.5
battery.voltage.nominal: 12
device.mfr: RPS S.p.a.
device.model: USV5
device.serial:
device.type: ups
driver.name: riello_usb
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.parameter.synchronous: no
driver.version: 2.7.4
driver.version.internal: 0.03
input.bypass.frequency: 409.50
input.bypass.voltage: 4095
input.frequency: 50.10
input.voltage: 235
output.frequency: 50.10
output.frequency.nominal: 50.0
output.L1.current: 0
output.L1.power: 0
output.L1.realpower: 0
output.L2.current: 0
output.L2.power: 0
output.L2.realpower: 0
output.L3.current: 0
output.L3.power: 0
output.L3.realpower: 0
output.power.percent: 0
output.voltage: 233
output.voltage.nominal: 230
ups.firmware: SWM036-01-02
ups.load: 0
ups.mfr: RPS S.p.a.
ups.model: USV5
ups.power.nominal: 600
ups.productid: 5500
ups.realpower.nominal: 360
ups.serial:
ups.status: OL
ups.temperature: 255
ups.vendorid: 04b4

The CGI interface is showing 255% battery level and 255 ºC temperature
values, as well.

I ran a test and disconnected the UPS from the mains while monitoring these
values to see if they changed, and while ups.status changed to "OB", I
could not see any differences in ups.temperature and battery.charge values
over the course of 10 minutes (I have a modem-router connected to the UPS
as well as the server, so I would expect to at least see the battery.charge
value change a bit, as both of them kept running). This is what upsc
returns after 10 minutes on battery:

battery.capacity: 5
battery.charge: 255
battery.runtime: 3932100
battery.voltage: 12.3
battery.voltage.nominal: 12
device.mfr: RPS S.p.a.
device.model: USV5
device.serial:
device.type: ups
driver.name: riello_usb
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.parameter.synchronous: no
driver.version: 2.7.4
driver.version.internal: 0.03
input.bypass.frequency: 409.50
input.bypass.voltage: 4095
input.frequency: 0.00
input.voltage: 6
output.frequency: 50.00
output.frequency.nominal: 50.0
output.L1.current: 0
output.L1.power: 0
output.L1.realpower: 0
output.L2.current: 0
output.L2.power: 0
output.L2.realpower: 0
output.L3.current: 0
output.L3.power: 0
output.L3.realpower: 0
output.power.percent: 0
output.voltage: 230
output.voltage.nominal: 230
ups.firmware: SWM036-01-02
ups.load: 0
ups.mfr: RPS S.p.a.
ups.model: USV5
ups.power.nominal: 600
ups.productid: 5500
ups.realpower.nominal: 360
ups.serial:
ups.status: OB
ups.temperature: 255
ups.vendorid: 04b4

It looks as if the driver riello_usb might not be reading the values
correctly? This seems to be supported by report #1 on this link, showing a
different UPS from the same manufacturer using the same riello_usb driver:
http://networkupstools.org/ddl/Riello/iDialog_800_IDG_800.html

I got this UPS model in particular because it was readily available in my
country and showed with support level green (vendor provided protocol and
hardware) in networkupstools.org stable hardware compatibility list, so it
seemed like a good choice. However, not being able to monitor the battery
charge value is a real show-stopper (I can live with inaccurate temperature
readings, though).

According to github, last modification on riello_usb.c was commited 3 years
ago, so I'm not sure if it's being maintained. Is there something that can
be done about this, or am I better off getting a different UPS altogether?

Thanks and regards,
Andrés Valdaliso.