On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, Mike wrote:

I have found the shutdown delay to be quite elusive within the NUT realm.

I have asked for the kind folk of this mailing list to post those UPS's which actually can implement the shutdown delay concept. I have not seen anything posted, here or on the website, to that effect.

Nor have I seen any manner of documentation in the various UPS profiles
that would suggest whether or not a specific UPS actually obeys and
complies with the shutdown delay concept.

Something as critical as the shutdown delay should be so supremely documented that it is child's play. But it is not. It currently is wizardry, if it exists at all.

Hi Mike, The current NUT has evolved from a little documentation and a lot of experimenting. As an example of the lack of manufacturer's documentation, see Eaton's "POWER FAILURE SHUTDOWN TIMELINE" for their products. https://powerquality.eaton.com/Products-services/Power-Management/Software-Drivers/lansafe-help/LSHelp301.htm

This page, from a leading UPS manufactuer fails to document the offdelay, which is hidden in the yellow bars labelled "System Shutdown". It does succeed in describing the Power-On Delay.

It is not possible for NUT to take over the documentation of the idiosyncracies of each UPS. All NUT can say is "Try this with your UPS".

However there is a need for a minimalist description of a working NUT setup.

* A drawing and three sentences each to describe the NUT components (without upssched).

* A working example of a set of configuration files for a single workstation which will shut down the workstation and the UPS when LB is reached.

One sheet of A4. Or the electronic equivalent.

We are looking for a volunteer to draft this sheet :-)

Best Regards, Roger