Hi Charles,
Thanks for your help.
Seems to be mostly ok except am getting error access denied. See below.
I see from searching this is a common error but so far I can't find a fix.
This is how I configured things before make and install.

created group nut
nut:x:103:
created system user ups with group nut.
ups:x:123:103::/home/ups:/bin/bash

Create statepath directory.

sudo mkdir -p /var/state/ups
sudo chmod 0770 /var/state/ups
sudo chown root:nut /var/state/ups

./configure --prefix=/usr --with-usb --with-user=ups --with-group=nut --with-udev-dir=/etc/udev --with-drivers=blazer_usb

Had to enable both these services. They weren't enabled by default.
sudo systemctl enable nut-server
sudo systemctl enable nut-monitor

$ sudo /usr/sbin/upsmon -DD
Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.7.4
   0.000000    fopen /var/run/upsmon.pid: No such file or directory
   0.000143    UPS: defender@localhost (master) (power value 1)
   0.000270    Using power down flag file /etc/killpower
   0.000422    debug level is '2'
   0.003814    Trying to connect to UPS [defender@localhost]
   0.004327    Login on UPS [defender@localhost] failed - got [ERR ACCESS-DENIED]
   5.004467    pollups: defender@localhost
   5.004630    parse_status: [OL]
  10.004764    pollups: defender@localhost
  10.004922    parse_status: [OL]
  15.005048    pollups: defender@localhost
  15.005208    parse_status: [OL]
  20.005319    pollups: defender@localhost
  20.005485    parse_status: [OL]
  25.005600    pollups: defender@localhost
  25.005762    parse_status: [OL]
^C  25.379863    Signal 2: exiting
  25.379899    Dropping connection to UPS [defender@localhost]

upsmon.pid is in /run directory. upsmon is looking for it in /var/run.
/var/state/ups contains blazer_usb-defender, blazer_usb-defender.pid and upsd.pid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.