> I have an older box set up this way for continuous integration, and it needs
> to see more than a few seconds of power loss for the "always turn on" BIOS
> setting to work. I forget how many different intervals I tried, but 30
> seconds of off time is reliable for that particular box.

Thanks. This matches my limited experience from yesterday with 2 computers
including the one that's actually attached to the UPS I'm trying to get to
work.

If power is cut and restored when the computer is already off (and with the
always-on BIOS setting), then: short off time, it doesn't notice and it remains
off; long off time, it does come back on. I did one minute for "long" but
didn't do binary partitioning of the interval to assess the exact threshold.