On Mar 30, 2018, at 2:46 AM, Stilez Stilezy <stil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> GENERAL NUT + ETHERNET CONNECTIONS:
>
> 1. Is "ethernet" likely to be synonymous with "snmp" for UPS network cards?

It is the most likely, but there are definitely Ethernet network cards for MGE
models that support SNMP as well as an XML-based protocol over HTTP.

We have a similar situation with the USB-connected UPSes. The physical
connector says nothing about the protocol (HID PDC, serial-over-USB, or other
vendor proprietary).

> Is information update based entirely on the daemon periodically polling, or
> does the UPS independently broadcast across the network upon a status issue,
> for any device to receive? If the UPS can both broadcast and be polled, does
> nut use both capabilities?

I don't see any mention of traps in the NUT documentation, so I think NUT is
only polling the network card via SNMP.

Reference: http://networkupstools.org/docs/man/snmp-ups.html

> 2. What users/passwords provided/created/usual in nut -> Ethernet UPS?

I would phrase this a little differently to avoid confusion, in that NUT has
the concept of users regardless of the connection to the UPS (USB, serial,
network).

> For example, does 3rd party software need a user/pw for a nut client to
> communicate with the daemon, and *also* the daemon need a separate user/pw to
> login and get status info from the UPS?

Same thing here: NUT username/passwords are separate from the authentication
used over SNMP. I would recommend using the specific SNMP terminology to avoid
confusion.

The different versions of SNMP use various names for the authentication
parameters. SNMPv1 uses "community" names, sent in the clear, and the read-only
default name is "public". To have NUT command the UPS to shut itself off after
the servers are powered down, you need a RW community name (which is usually
treated like a password, but is also sent in the clear with SNMPv1).

SNMPv3 has authentication and privacy protocols, and the NUT configuration
parameters (the ones that FreeNAS would need to write to ups.conf) are listed
in the snmp-ups man page cited above.

> Is a user/pw combination needed just to get status info from the UPS, such as
> if power is OK, or to be alerted if there is a power issue? (I'd expect so,
> but worth checking explicitly)

No password needed to check NUT status (this is what happens when you run "upsc
name-of-ups@name-of-server"), but a NUT username and password is needed to log
in as a slave. Although a slave is just monitoring the master, the distinction
is because the slaves are also capable of blocking the master shutdown sequence.

More info on NUT username/passwords:
http://networkupstools.org/docs/man/upsd.users.html

> 3. What would be the basic config params needed to establish a data link to
> an ethernet-connected UPS (other than user/pw) when using nut in a simple way
> to communicate with the UPS?

I think both cases (NUT and SNMP) are covered in the answers above, but feel
free to ask for clarification.

> FREENAS/FREEBSD SPECIFIC:
>
> 4. Does anyone already use FreeNAS/FreeBSD with an APC UPS+AP963x network
> card? If so, what nut config do you use - either FreeNAS GUI fields or nut
> main config file entries that are important, would help. Are there any
> crucial setup points you find important/necessary to get it working well, or
> other comments on your config?

Might be worth checking the mailing list archives (search box is on
http://networkupstools.org/support.html ) to see if anyone else has posted
details.

> 5. The FreeNAS UPS service GUI has fields marked "monitor user+pw". Some web
> references seem to suggest they contain the users defined externally in the
> UPS through Powerchute/WebUI, other sources suggest they are used internally
> by the nut client to communicate with a nut daemon. Nobody (including the
> team itself) actually seems to be very sure which is somewhat intriguing! To
> save dabbling in the codebase, does anyone happen to know for sure what the
> data in these fields is used for, off the top of their head?

I suspect that if the fields do not go away if you choose a non-networked UPS,
then it is referring to monitoring another NUT instance (you would also need
the hostname of the NUT master system for that). You could also put in unique
values for the user and password, and check which of the NUT configuration
files they end up in.

(When replying, be sure to use "Reply All" to include the mailing list. Thanks!)