I have two more ideas:
1) create NutchConf as interface (not class)
2) make it work as plugin

I like the idea to make the conf as a singleton and understand the need to be able to integrate nutch. However I would love to do one first step and later on we can make this second step. I made the experience that if you change to much people do not accept your patch. This is painful since you invest some days of work and in the end wast your time for the trash. So lets add this to the jira as improvement suggestion and do this step after the actually change.

Stefan