From: Michael Wechner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 9:30 AM
To: nutch-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: IncrediBILL's Random Rants: How Much Nutch is TOO MUCH Nutch?

Doug Cutting wrote:

http://incredibill.blogspot.com/2006/06/how-much-nutch-is-too-much-nutch.htm

well, I think incrediBILL has an argument, that people might really
start excluding bots from their servers if it's
becoming too much. What might help is that incrediBILL would offer an
index of the site, which should be smaller
than the site itself. I am not sure if there exists a "standard" for
something like this. Basically the bot would ask the
server if an index exists and where it is located and what the date it
is from and then the bot decides to download the index
or otherwise starts crawling the site.

Michi

--
Michael Wechner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]