I guess that's the middle of the road approach, with
the two extremes being raw
data and standardized approach.

I agree that we should make some kind of open web
directory or info.  I think a
decentralized approach will make it more difficult to
distribute the data
whereas a centralized exposes users to single point of
failure.  Unless we do
the hybrid suggested earlier, centralized pointers,
decentralized details.

I also somewhere down the road we should allow for
individual users (as opposed
to crawlers to contribute).

In the uk there is an inititative with a centralized
database decentralized
crawlers (actually competition users and teams, and
centralized server provides
the urls to crawel).  It uses a proprietary database.
I think there should be
some mechanism where contributors also can retrieve
the indices.