Dennis Kubes wrote:
I will say that it is difficult for people to understand how to get more involved. I have been working with Nutch and Hadoop for almost a year now on a daily basis and only now am I understanding how to contribute through jira, etc. There needs to be more guidance in helping developers contribute. For example if you want to develop a new piece of function they do x, y, and z. Here is how to patch your system. If you want to develop a patch then here are the steps.

The closest thing we have currently are the HowToContribute pages:

http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/HowToContribute
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/HowToContribute
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/HowToContribute

These are not great, but they're a start. Are there parts that are confusing? Do they assume too much? Are they missing things? If so, please help to update these.

I note that the Nutch version is less evolved than the Lucene and Hadoop versions.

Doug