From: Andrzej Bialecki [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2007 3:28 PM
To: nutch-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Generator.java bug?

Gal Nitzan wrote:
> Hi,
>

> After many failures of generate "Generator: 0 records selected for
fetching,
> exiting ..." I made a post about it a few days back.
>

> I narrowed down to the following function:
>

> public Path generate(Path dbDir, Path segments, int numLists, long topN,
> long curTime, boolean filter, boolean force)
>

> in the following if:  if (readers == null || readers.length == 0 ||
> !readers[0].next(new FloatWritable()))
>

> It turns out that the: "!readers[0].next(new FloatWritable())" is the
> culprit.

Well, this condition simply checks if the result is not empty. When we
open Reader[] on a SequenceFile, each reader corresponds to a
part-xxxxx. There must be at least one part, so we use the one at index
0. If we cannot retrieve at least one entry from it, then it logically
follows that the file is empty, and we bail out.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><