Sandeep Tata wrote:
Hi Folks,

I was just wondering what computation really happens in the reduce
phase for Fetcher2 ?

If Fetcher was running in the parsing mode, then in the reduce phase Outlinks are separated from Parse output and stored in crawl_parse, and other data in parse_text and parse_data. This actually happens in FetcherOutputFormat / ParseOutputFormat, so there is no need for any Reduce apart from the IdentityReduce (default)

I know that it is implemented as a MapRunnable -- but I see no
explicit reducer being set for the job. Is the identity reducer being
used ? Why can't we simply use job.setNumReduceTasks(0) ?
Wouldn't this be faster?

First, when Fetcher / Fetcher2 were written there was no such option in Hadoop. Second, the meaning of this setting is that the output from maps becomes the final output - but this won't cut it, because map outputs are always simple SequenceFile's, whereas we need to split the FetcherOutput into a bunch of Sequence and MapFile-s (which have to be sorted) ...

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><