Tomcat uses own slightly different version of URL class:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/catalina/docs/api/index.html
URL is designed to provide public APIs for parsing and synthesizing Uniform
Resource Locators as similar as possible to the APIs of java.net.URL, but
without the ability to open a stream or connection. One of the consequences
of this is that you can construct URLs for protocols for which a
URLStreamHandler is not available (such as an "https" URL when JSSE is not
installed).

Synchonized staff in java.net.URL is URLStreamHandler -related.

Fuad Efendi
+1 416-993-2060
http://www.linkedin.com/in/liferay