Tomcat only comes into it because we have to start Tomcat in the
searcher directory, I'm guessing it's the same however you choose to
use Nutch. It would still have to do a rename across physical volumes
if searcher.dir is set to something different would it not?

How does this sound as a sollution? Allow the user to set a
configuration option setting the linkdb working dir, or allow the user
to set a configuration flag to use another particular configuration
option to set the base dir. Otherwise fall back to the default which
is the current working directory.

Cheers
Rob