As mentionned previously to Deepa Devanathan in the previous mail thread
"Search only in one language", I tried to reproduce your problem, but all is
working fine for me too.
Something that I understand in your mail is that you try to directly acces
the URL (not using the search jsp page).
So, in such a case, the good URL encoding is:
/search.jsp?query=service+lang%3Afr

Regards

Jérôme

--